Is there a way to boost my Social Security benefits?

Yes. If you’re at full retirement age or older you can elect to suspend your Social Security benefits for any amount of time up to age 70 to earn delayed retirement credits. This will give you a higher benefit payment when you turn 70 – or when you request reinstatement of benefits, whichever comes first. It’s important to know, however, that during this voluntary delay period, you will no longer be able to receive spouse’s or widow(er)’s benefits, and any benefits payable to your spouse and children on your record will be suspended for the same time period. (It does not affect your divorced spouse, who can receive benefits on your record during this period.)

For more information and answer to your questions about recent changes in the law, go to